12 juillet 2020

MFT: the rebel (image sensor) format!

(Save the sanity!)

With the uncertainty of Olympus and Panasonic involvement into the future development the Micro Four Third (MFT) image sensor format, what is my own reaction? In short, I simply decided to reconvert myself and buy another new MFT (camera) friend. Why? Because I am tired of all these unproductive debates about which image sensor format can be the most performing way of doing creative photography. And I am tired of small-minded attitudes that defend fiercely their own photo equipment manufacturer choices.

I am concerned about the photographer's spirit that spend their energy to defend commercial enterprises instead of photographic artistic trends. Let be honest despite this materialist world, photography is still an art of expression. So my rebel attitude is to defend the marginal way of promoting compact traditional photo equipment over the big apples and oranges offered by the major manufacturers that you know already the names... and web sites!

A Lumix G85 with its simple lens duet, 12-60mm and 45-200mm
I love MFT format because it is the real thing in term of compactness. I hate bazooka camera bodies and lenses which are not practical to bring with you, that are intruding and intimidating and, at the end, are heavy to carry, to operate and to handle in imaging post-treatment (with their inflated files). Small is (still) beautiful, don’t be misled by the marketers and their conscious or unconscious allies. To produce a large camera is easy but not very intelligent as for cars incidentally. To create a compact competent product is much cleverer.

So, in regard of the recent news regarding the future of MFT, I am not really happy. My line of defense is to encourage the ingeniously instead of the bigness and I do not care about the consequences on a long term since I don't think the other major manufacturers care really about their fanatic customers. For the moment, Olympus and Panasonic are still in business and their camera and lens offering is still very pertinent and actual. What will be tomorrow, we don’t know for sure and many surprises can appear in the next few years.

I have never come back to the digital 24 X 36mm (ex-35mm film) format since the Nikon D700 which was already a monstrous photographic device coupled with big bazooka lenses. My point of view has been confirmed since this past decision. Not only that so call Full-Frame products are big sized products but they so much expensive that it is impossible to qualify them as affordable in any way, which is not the case for many good MFT products even if Olympus and Panasonic can also offer pricy items too.

I know that some reviewers have condemn the MFT format already and some have stayed silent about their past endorsement but at least some others seem to try to maintain the interest for this unique true compact camera system. I can only hope that reason will prevail over political choices.





Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire